Speech of the Week: First Lady Michelle Obama High School Commencement Address
This past May, First Lady Michelle Obama gave the commencement address at Martin Luther King, Jr. Academic Magnet High School for Health Sciences and Engineering at the Historic Pearl High in Nashville, TN.
If you’ve seen the First Lady deliver a speech then you know that she delivers with grace and confidence. She and her husband, you may know him from this speech, are great public speakers.
When she arrived in college she discovered that she needed a different set of skill and it was these skills that she focused on for her speech. She offered three good points for the high school graduates to remember as they embark on their next journey in college and beyond.
- Importance of Community
- It’s important to form a community of people outside of your family. These are the people who will serve as your “family.”
- Join clubs, volunteer, join a sports team, make friends in the dorms – Just be sure to find your community because you can’t do it alone.
- When something doesn’t go your way, you have to adjust. This is how you find out who you are as a person.
- Commit to achieving your goals.
- Find Your Passion
- Discover what you really want in life. Ask yourself what you really want.
- Don’t waste a moment living someone else’s dream.
- It takes a lot finding what you love, but you have to look inside yourself to find your passion.
- Be curios and take risk.
The First Lady ended with the school’s slogan: “Act Like a Royal, but Think Like a Boss.”
What do you really want for your own life?